Your Memberships & Subscriptions
The Antarctic Exploration Anthology: The Personal Accounts of the Great Antarctic Explorers (Bybliotech Discovery Book 1) Kindle Edition
The Personal First-Hand Accounts of the Great Antarctic Explorers
The Greatest Names From the Heroic Age of Exploration: Amundsen, Scott, Shackleton, Mawson and Cherry-Garrard
The frozen continent of Antarctica has always captured the imagination of explorers and adventurers from around the World, most especially in the first few decades of the 20th Century, when the race was on to be the very first person (and Nation) to reach the South Pole.
In this carefully selected Anthology we present the personal accounts of the greatest early explorers of Antarctica: Captain Robert Falcon Scott, Sir Ernest Shackleton, Roald Amundsen, Apsley Cherry-Garrard and Sir Douglas Mawson., complete with scores of original photographs from the expeditions.
Each of these intrepid explorers gives their own incredible, stoic, and sometimes harrowing accounts of the almost impossible odds they faced to achieve their goals.
Through success and failure, personal sacrifice, loyalty, rescue and even death, these great explorers advanced the sum of human scientific knowledge and achievement, and richly deserve their place in history.
The texts in this Anthology are unexpurgated, and include appendices, but have all been formatted and optimized for Kindle, and include selected photos, illustrations and maps.
The works contained in this Anthology are:
- "South! The Story of Shackleton’s Last Expedition" by Sir Ernest Shackleton.
- "Scott's Last Expedition: The Journals of Captain R. F. Scott" by Captain Robert Falcon Scott.
- "The South Pole, an Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram'" by Roald Amundsen.
- "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
- "The Home of the Blizzard: Being the Story of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition" by Sir Douglas Mawson.
- ASIN : B00F088O2S
- Publisher : www.Bybliotech.org; 1st edition (April 15, 2013)
- Publication date : April 15, 2013
- Language : English
- File size : 8974 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Sticky notes : On Kindle Scribe
- Best Sellers Rank: #495,185 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
There's a quote in the preface of "The Worst Journey in the World" that really sums up the different qualities of all these incredible explorers:
"For a joint scientific and geographical piece of organisation, give me Scott; for a Winter Journey, Wilson; for a dash to the Pole and nothing else, Amundsen: and if I am in the devil of a hole and want to get out of it, give me Shackleton every time"